I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Tuesday, July 3, 2012

GF and Dairy-Free Hawaiian Smores

Sorry it took so long to get this one posted. My intentions were good, but I've been busy. Anyway, the pictures are of the Hawaiian s'mores my family made while camping. And hey, I'm posting this just in time for fourth of July grilling...

Ingredients:
4 bananas
1 bag of carob chips (or chocolate chips, if your family has no problem with milk)
1 bag of mini marshmallows
aluminum foil

The instructions are at the bottom of the page, because I couldn't figure out how to make the images set evenly with the instructions. Sorry!



Instructions:
1. Do not peel the banana. Leave it inside the peel for the most part, peeling back only a small section of the banana peel (see first picture).
2. Where the banana's insides are exposed (where you've lifted back one slice of banana peel), cut the banana right down the middle.
3. Stuff the banana with a carob chip at the tip, followed by a marshmallow, then another carob chip, then another marshmallow, and so on, until the banana is stuffed with chips and marshmallows. (See the second picture.) If you're using chocolate chips, just substitute the carob chips in this step for chocolate chips.
4. Replace the strip of banana peel that you peeled back, so that the banana looks sort of chubby but back to its old self.
5. Wrap the banana in aluminum foil.
6. Set the banana in hot coals, like in a fireplace or campfire (see third picture). I suppose you could cook it on the barbecue or in an oven.
7. Check the banana after a few minutes to see if the carob chips and marshmallows have melted. If not, put it back in the hot coals. If so, take it out! It's ready to eat! Carob chips take longer to melt than chocolate chips, I've noticed, so cook times vary according to ingredients and the heat from the fire.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment