So when my cousin's wife, Andrea Musick, posted her recipe for PF Chang's-style gluten-free chicken wraps on FB, I asked if I could include this on my recipe blog. Because YUM! So here you go:
4 large chicken breasts
1/2 can of water chestnuts
2 chopped green onions
1/4 c of Hoisin sauce
2 tsp chili sauce (I used the garlic chili sauce from the Asian isle)
2-3 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup of peanuts. ( I used the salt and pepper peanuts but anything will work just don't buy any sweet flavor)
1 tbsp. fresh ginger
2 tbsp. soy sauce
head of lettuce ( butter lettuce holds it better but cost wise iceburg lettuce will work fine)
1) use a small amount of olive oil and a little crushed garlic to sauté the chicken. (garlic and oil is in addition to above list)
2) while the chicken is cooking (at a point when it is almost done), in a separate pan add oil and garlic on a med to low heat. After a min or so add ginger, soy sauce, Hoisin, chili paste and mix together for a couple mins. you have to constantly stir these or they will burn or reduce down to nothing.
3) once the chicken is cooked through take it off the heat and chop in up into very small pieces. bite size or smaller.
4) Add the chicken into the sauce mixture with the chestnuts, 1/2 the onions and peanuts. The cooking tends to make the peanuts and onions soft so I only put half in so I still get some fresh and crunch. at this point just let it cook for 8-10 mins on low heat to get it well flavored. There shouldn't be any running sauce the ingredients should suck up all of the sauce mixture.
5) Add the rest of the onions and peanuts and cook for maybe a min or so longer.
6) wash lettuce and leave in large leaves. Add a few scoops to the lettuce and roll like a burrito. I sometimes will cut the lettuce down the middle if I use iceburg lettuce because it can be quite big.
I'm not sure where to buy Hoisin sauce gluten-free, but I'm going to look for it in my local Asian store before making this recipe. I'll post information on GF brands if I find any. If I can't find any GF, I'll work on finding a good substitute.