GF bread or GF English muffins
1 Tbsp. bacon grease, lard, or dairy-free buttery spread
1 1/2 to 2 cups soy milk
2-3 Tbsp. GF flour mix (1 part rice flour, 1 part tapioca starch, 1 part potato starch flour)
salt and pepper
GF ham or Canadian bacon
slice of tomato (optional)
1 Tbsp. vinegar (less if your kids don't like the flavor of vinegar)
- Toast the bread or English muffins.
- Poach eggs in a water/vinegar fry pan or use an egg poacher.
- Mix 1/4 cup of the soy milk with 2 Tbs. of flour mix until all the flour lumps dissolve into the soy milk. In a separate bowl or measuring cup, mix the extra 1 Tbsp. of flour mix with 3 Tbsp. of soy milk. Set the smaller portion aside.
- Place your bacon grease, lard, or dairy-free buttery spread in the center of a sauce pan and melt it at medium-high heat. Add the 1/4 cup soy milk/flour mixture while whisking continuously.
- When your flour/soy milk mixture thickens, slowly add more soy milk until you have a gravy-like consistency. If you find it becomes too thin, add the 3 Tbsp. soy milk/flour mix, a little at a time, until you've got a gravy.
- You can add a little yellow food coloring to make the gravy look pretty, but you don't have to. Salt and pepper the gravy to to taste.
Layer the eggs Benedict in this order:
Bottom => toast
Next => ham
Next => tomato (optional)
Next => eggs
Top => gravy