I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Monday, July 16, 2012

Gluten-Free Egg Foo Young Recipe

I love egg foo young, but anytime I've tried to buy it in a Chinese food restaurant, it's got gluten in it. So here's my recipe for egg foo young, minus the gluten...

Ingredients for egg patty:
1 mushroom, chopped up into little pieces
1/4 celery stalk, chopped into little pieces
2 Tbsp. bean sprouts or cabbage
2 eggs
1 strip of bacon, sliced into tiny pieces (optional, if you want to go vegetarian, though it's not vegan)
1/4 tsp. minced ginger (dried is okay, but fresh is better)
1/2 tsp. Tamari sauce (GF soy sauce)
1 Tbsp. olive oil

Directions:
1. Mix all ingredients in a 2 cup mixing bowl. It's going to look like a lot of veggies and not very much egg, but that's okay. Set this mixture aside.
2. Heat the oil in a non-stick fry pan, on medium heat. Important: don't get the burner too hot, as that will scorch one side of your egg patty.
3. Once warm, add egg mixture and cook with a lid over it until solid on the bottom.
4. Use a flat spatula to flip the egg mixture and cook it on the other side until light brown.

Serves 1

Next week I'll post the directions for the sauce that tastes so yummy on top!

The week after that, I'm planning to show you how to make your own bean sprouts. I just recently learned this in a nutrition class I took at our local junior college. It's quite easy (or so they tell me). So watch for that post.

No comments:

Post a Comment