I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Monday, June 18, 2012

Classic S'Mores Gluten-free Recipe

Everybody knows S'mores are the ticket to campfire fun. With the camping season upon us, I thought I'd let you know what my family does for S'mores.

The trick is to find a good substitute for traditional graham crackers. We use S'moreables from Kinnikinnick. Here's the recipe, for those of you who don't know how to make S'mores.

Ingredients:

  1. marshmallows (we use Kraft, but other brands are GF too, just check labels)
  2. S'moreables graham style crackers
  3. Hershey's milk chocolate


Directions:

  1. Break a S'moreable graham cracker in half at the "seam."
  2. Break a Hershey bar into its rectangular pieces, also where you'll find a seam. Set two pieces of Hershey's milk chocolate candy bar on one piece of S'moreable graham cracker.
  3. Toast one marshmallow on the end of a stick, by setting it near (but not too close to) the coals of a dwindling campfire. Children should be supervised for this, of course.
  4. When the marshmallow is golden brown and chewy inside, set it between two even halves of a S'moreable graham style cracker. 
  5. Wait until the Hershey's chocolate melts before eating.


Remember to put your campfires out! Smokey the Bear will appreciate it.

Next week I'll post a recipe for GF Hawaiian S'mores.

No comments:

Post a Comment