I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Monday, July 23, 2012

Gluten-Free Egg Foo Young Gravy Recipe

Last week I posted my egg foo young recipe; this week I'm posting the gravy recipe. It's thinner than most gravies like you might use on mashed potatoes, but you can thicken it up with more corn starch. I don't like it with too much corn starch, though, as extra corn starch can give it a starchy flavor. So here's what I recommend:
This little bit of gravy is enough for two patties.

Ingredients for Egg Foo Young Gravy:

Ingredients for sauce:
1/4 tsp. Tamari sauce
1 ½ Tbsp. corn starch
a little less than ¼ cup cold water
1/3 cup beef or chicken broth (read labels)
dash of garlic

Directions for Egg Foo Young Gravy:
  1. Heat up your broth in the microwave for 30 seconds (this step reduces the cook time on the stove).
  2. Add Tamari sauce and dash of garlic to the broth, to taste. You want to make sure it is salty, but not icky-too-salty.
  3. Pour broth mixture into a fry pan. Let it come to a boil while you do the next step.
  4. Add corn starch to water. (The water should be cold.) Stir these together until the corn starch stops clumping. 
  5. Once the broth is boiling, stir in the corn starch with a wire whisk. Stir continuously until it thickens. 
  6. When the gravy is thick, pour it over your egg patty (see last week's recipe).


Serves 2 (Because you have to make the patties individually, but the gravy can be made for both patties, if you're cooking for two.)
See how it's thinner than a gravy you might serve w/ potatoes?

As I said last week, I'm preparing to grow bean sprouts. My next posting will let you know the steps in growing your own, home-grown bean sprouts for Chinese food dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment