I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Monday, October 3, 2011

Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookies--Dip 'em in Milk for an After-School Treat

A lot of celiacs still haven't heard that Bob's Red Mill now offers gluten-free oats. As long as your child's stomach can tolerate them, these oats are raised and processed away from contaminates. You see, it's not the oats themselves that contain the offending gluten, as I understand it. The problem has always been in the processing of oats. They're typically stored in the same bins and silos as wheat, rye, and barley, so they've always been a big no-no for celiacs.

But now you can buy certified oats. As long as your stomach isn't too sensitive, these oats don't contain the usual glutens. So here's the recipe I've used with my kiddo:

Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookies

Dry Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (I use a mix of rice flour, potato starch flour, corn starch, and tapioca starch, with more rice flour than the others)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. xanthan gum

Other Ingredients
1 cup butter (softened)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. gluten-free vanilla (I use Rodelle)
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 cup raisins (optional)
3 cups gluten-free oats from Bob's Red Mill

 

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Use stand mixer to blend butter and sugars together.
3. Add vanilla and eggs and mix well.
4. In a separate bowl, blend the items listed as "dry ingredients" above.
5. Mix dry ingredients with all other ingredients, including the raisins and oats.
6. Drop rounded spoonfuls of cookie dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 9 to 12 minutes, until golden brown. Cool for a bit before you transfer them to a wire rack (if you don't they fall apart).

Makes 4 dozen cookies or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment