I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Monday, October 31, 2011

Quick and Easy Gluten-Free Tater Tot Casserole Recipe

This one of my favorite dishes to make, because it's so quick and easy to throw together. It's a good one for that day when nothing has gone right at work, and you wish you could just do the pre-gluten-free "Hamburger Helper" thing, but of course, that's not even a consideration these days.

So here's my recipe for...

Gluten-Free Tater Tot Casserole

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. hamburger
Pacific Natural Foods' condensed GF cream of mushroom soup (12 oz. container)
1/4 cup finely diced onions
2 lb. bag of gluten-free tater tots*
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
GF cooking spray (read labels to verify)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Brown the hamburger in a skillet and drain off excess fat.
2. Add onions and cook a little longer, just to warm up the onions.
3. Place meet and onions in a mixing bowl. Add cheese and cream of mushroom soup.
4. Mix well.
5. Spray a 9x11-inch casserole dish.
6. Pour meat-and-cheesy mix into prepared casserole dish. Top with tater tots,* making sure you cover all of the meat mixture's surface with tots.
7. Bake for 20 minutes.
8. Let it cool for a couple of minutes before you serve it to kids, as their mouths can easily be burned by oven-hot food!

*Note that not all tater tots are gluten-free. Read labels carefully. Barley can be disguised as "maltodextrin" and some tater tot companies actually coat tots in wheat to keep them from sticking together. If the label is unclear, call the company or contact them via the Internet, to make sure the product you're serving/eating is, in fact, gluten-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment