I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Monday, September 26, 2011

Gluten-Free Ham and Bean Soup--A Warm-You-Up Solution to Cold September Days

I first made this recipe after we'd had a horde of family over for Easter dinner. We had leftover ham in abundance, and I couldn't think of what to do with all of it. Here's the solution:

Gluten-Free Ham and Bean Soup
Ingredients:
  • 1 ½ cups mixed dried beans
  • 8 cups water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 ham hock
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1/2 cup celery, chopped
  • 1 whole chopped leek (don’t chop the grassy tip up though, only the bulb end)
  • 1 fat clove of garlic, minced or two medium cloves, minced
  • ½ teaspoon of onion powder
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 cups chopped ham (in addition to the hock)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

Instructions:
1.     Add all ingredients to a crock pot except carrots and celery.
2.     Cook 6 to 8 hours on low heat, stirring occasionally to keep it from burning at the bottom.
3.     Remove some of the beans and mash them or puree them in a food processor, then return them to the stock. Blend. (This thickens the soup.)
4.     Add celery and carrots.
5.     Cook for another 30-45 minutes on a low setting, until carrots are al dente.
6.     Serve warm with crackers, cornbread, garlic bread, or muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment