I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Monday, April 9, 2012

Spanish Potatoes (a Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Casserole Recipe)

Whenever my husband goes steelhead fishing (or hunting), I feel safe to experiment in the kitchen. Today's casserole dish is an experiment of mine that turned out pretty good (although the girls said it was too spicy). I call it "Spanish Potatoes" for lack of a better name. Here's how you make it:

Ingredients:

  • 5 medium-sized potatoes
  • 3 cloves of garlic (fresh, peeled)
  • 1 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
  • 1 1/4 cup chopped cabbage
  • scant 1/4 cup diced onions
  • 1/2 can (3.5 oz.) La Victoria mild diced green chilis
  • 1/2 cup Pacific Foods hemp milk
  • salt and pepper


Directions:
1. Peel the potatoes. Quarter them. Boil them with the 3 cloves of garlic until soft (30 min. or so).
2. Drain potatoes and garlic with a colander. Mash potatoes and garlic. Add hemp milk until they form a sort of mashed-potatoes consistency. The garlic should mash right in with the potatoes.
3. Add cilantro, onions, chilis, and cabbage. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Bake in a 375-degree (F) oven for 20-25 minutes, or until cabbage is al dente.

If you're not worried about cooking dairy free, substitute the hemp milk for regular milk or a milk/sour cream mix. In the last 5 minutes of baking time, sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top. It will look pretty and taste good too. It's possible to garnish with a sprig of cilantro. If you broil it for the last 30 seconds, you may get the spuds to have a crunchy, golden-brown top, but I'm not very good at that.

I served this week's casserole recipe with last week's chicken breast recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment