I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Monday, April 23, 2012

Quick and Easy GF Breakfast Ideas

I don't know about you, but this time of year, I feel like a cab driver in New York City. I taxi my kids to piano lessons, choir concerts, 4-H, a friend's overnight party, church, youth group meetings, and the play the'll be performing in after school.

So we find ourselves getting up too late to eat a good breakfast sometimes. That's okay. As long as we eat something--even just a grab-n-go meal--it's better than nothing. They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right?

So what does an experienced GF mom feed her kids for grab-n-go breakfast? Here are a few ideas:

Van's toaster waffles. You can find them in the frozen foods section of your health food aisle, but read the labels; some of their products are wholesome but not GF!

Peanut butter on toast with an apple. This covers three of the four food groups--protein is in the peanut butter--and kids love it.

Open a can of GF pears and serve it over cottage cheese. With cinnamon toast, this also covers three food groups. My daughter loves this one! (I've heard that some canned fruits can have gluten in them, but I've never had this experience myself. However, as always, read labels.)

Boiled eggs and OJ. Let's face it, they travel well, they're high in protein, and they only take 12 minutes to cook hard-boiled. Once you get to your destination and start munching down the eggs, though, you've got to have the orange juice to wash it down.

Egg sandwich. We just had this one for breakfast this morning. We fried a single egg (over hard), and slipped a slice of ham in there between two slices of toast. It's also possible to eat it with cheese. I like lettuce on mine, but my daughter doesn't.

Microwaved hot cereal. I realize kids don't like Quinoa flakes. There are other options though. Uncle Ben's now has a cream of rice that is labeled GF. You can also cook corn meal mush from your own corn flour, just like Grandma used to make.

Gluten-free cereal. And if you're dairy-free, I've recently discovered how much I like hemp milk. It doesn't have the bland flavor that soy milk has. But it doesn't exactly taste like dairy milk either. It has its own flavor, but it goes wonderfully with cereals. I'm definitely a fan!

GF cereal bars. Did you know that Fruity Pebbles cereal bars are labeled GF? Yeah! And you can buy them in a regular grocery store, usually in the cereal aisle.

Yogurt or Gogurts. Yoplait is now labeling their yogurts and Gogurts (the tubes of yogurt) with GF labels. It's a quick source of fruit, dairy, and protein.

Well that's it for today's post. I hope you got something useful out of that...

No comments:

Post a Comment