I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Monday, February 13, 2012

Gluten-Free Gorp (Trail Mix) Recipe: a Great After-School Snack!

Sometimes they call it GORP--which is probably an acronym for something, but I don't have the foggiest idea what it stands for. (If you know, please leave a comment to that effect. Thanks!) Anyway, it's a great after-school snack, and it's super easy to make:

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup Rice Chex cereal
1 cup Corn Chex cereal
1 cup GF pretzels (Glutino are our favorites)
1/2 cup M&M's
1/2 cup peanuts (without the shell--and as always, check labels)
1/2 cup cashews (same thing)
1/2 cup dates (same)
1/2 cup raisins (same)
1/2 cup banana chips (same)
1 small pkg. Corn Nuts

DIRECTIONS:
Simple... Mix it all up and store it in a monster-sized Tupperware or cookie jar. Kids can scoop a bunch into a bowl after school and snack on healthy goodies. My kids love this kind of stuff as an after school snack. It's also great in school lunches.

One tip though: keep it sealed tight. If your cookie jar's lid doesn't screw on tightly, use a Tupperware or Rubbermaid storage container that seals well. This stuff spoils easily if it's left open to the air.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe!
    GORP = good old raisins and peanuts

    ReplyDelete