I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Super-Fluffy Gluten-Free Flour Recipe

Image: iClipart
When I first started baking things GF, I thought, "Mix flours? What the heck are they talking about? That's crazy talk!" Then I tried making my first batch of GF sugar cookies with only rice flour. Pretty much, what I ended up with, was some sugar cookies that looked like crackers and tasted like Chinese fortune cookies. Bleck!

So after six years of baking GF, I've finally discovered a mixture that seems to work well. It keeps most things fluffy without having them fall apart. Here's what I call my Super-Fluffy Gluten-Free Flour Mix:

Super Fluffy Gluten-Free Flour Mixture:
2 cups tapioca starch
2 cups cornstarch
2 cups rice flour
2 Tbs. potato flour (NOT potato starch--that's different)

I keep a tub of it on my kitchen counter, and I dip into it for many of my recipes. It makes things fluffy! YAY!

2 comments:

  1. Is it possible to substitute something for the potato flour? I'm finding out that potato in any form is bad for my digestion. Would arrowroot work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wouldn't hurt to try. Let me know what happens, okay?

    ReplyDelete