I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Gluten-Free Peach Cobbler--a Summer Dessert Delight

Here's my recipe for a yummy guten-free peach cobbler. I took a few pictures and posted them as well.
Crust Ingredients:
  • 1 cup Jules GF All-Purpose Flour (or rice flour will work okay in a pinch)
  • ½ cup potato starch
  • ½ cup tapioca flour
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • 6 tbsp. cold butter, cut into tiny pieces
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 2 ½ tbsp. ice water (no more—to maintain crumbly texture)

Cobbler Filling Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
  • 2 tbsp. cornstarch
  • ¼ tsp. cinnamon
  • tiny dash of allspice
  • 6 cups peaches, peeled, pitted, sliced, and diced up small (I used eight store-bought peaches, which are rather large)
  • 1 heaping tbsp. frozen concentrated lemonade

Instructions for Crust:

Prepare the pie crust first, as follows: combine flours and salt in a stand mixer. Cut in butter with a pastry blender (I just used my stand mixer’s whisk attachment) until mixture is crumbly like coarse ground meal. Add egg and vinegar and blend. Add ice water, a little at a time. You may not need all 2 ½ tbsp. of water. Just watch to make sure it’s a crumbly mixture that almost holds together. That’s what you want, is a sort of crumbly, almost pie crust. Wrap your crumbly crust mixture in plastic wrap and keep it chilled in the refrigerator until later.

Instructions for Cobbler:

Combine all filling ingredients in a sauce pan. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens to about the consistency of gravy. (It takes me about 15 minutes, but different stoves will have different cook times.) Generously butter the sides and bottom of a 9x11 inch casserole dish. Pour hot peach mixture into prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle crumbly pie crust over the top. Bake at 375 F for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown on top.

Serves Approx. 8 People

No comments:

Post a Comment