I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Sunday, March 6, 2016

Tips and Tricks for the BEST GF St. Patrick's Day Corned Beef and Cabbage

Okay, so I cheat. I have no idea how to make corned beef from scratch. I just go to the grocery store and buy the pre-packaged corned beef (reading labels to make sure it's gluten-free), and I plop it in the slow-cooker for our GF St. Patrick's Day tradition.

However I have learned a few tips and tricks over the years to  make it turn out yummy:

  • My grandmother told me that when you remove the corned beef from the package, you need to squeeze all the juice out of it. That juicy stuff is what makes it tender and tasty.
  • Cook your cabbage in one inch of boiling water for four minutes, no more. That way the cabbage is al dente. If it's a really large head of cabbage, I cook it for five minutes.
  • Pre-slice the cabbage before serving. That way, people who like their cabbage soft can get the outer leaves; people who like their cabbage stiffer can take the inner leaves.
  • Minute rice is fine, but don't use flavored rices with your corned beef and cabbage. Just cook plain old white rice. The corned beef provides all the flavor your need.
  • Potatoes go well with corned beef also, but if you substitute the rice for a potato dish, keep it simple. Boiled potatoes with butter and parsley is all you need. No gravy is necessary.


No comments:

Post a Comment