I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Monday, August 20, 2012

More Gluten-Free Chinese Food

I'm still getting recipes from the folks who attended this year's Celiac Support Group pot luck dinner. I realize I just did a big thing on Chinese foods, but someone submitted this recipe for GF sweet and sour chicken, so I thought I'd add it to the posts:


Sweet & Sour Chicken:

2-20 oz cans pineapple tidbits, drained (reserve juice)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup Tamari sauce
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries


Bring pineapple juice to a boil.  Add brown sugar, vinegar and soy sauce. Mix cornstarch with cold water, add to pot, stirring until thick. Add cooked, chopped chicken pieces (pork or beef can be used as substitutes). Add pineapple tidbits. When boiling, turn heat down to low. Add peppers and cherries just before serving; they bleach out fast.

If you don't have enough liquid, add some pineapple juice or orange juice.  Serve over Rice.

The sauce makes 1/2 gallon. This is a great recipe to use with meatballs as well.


There was also a fabulous spicy Thai noodle dish at our potluck. Here’s the link to the website they used for that recipe. However, the chef substituted regular noodles for GF noodles and soy sauce for Tamari sauce. 

Finally, I've been faithfully posting recipes and GF food tips for about a year now, but it looks like my book will soon be published. I need to focus on its promotion for a while. Since this site gets very few visitors, I'm putting it on the back burner, so to speak. However, I do use this site as a sort of recipe storage zone for myself. So I may check in periodically.

But don't be surprised if my posts become less frequent for a while.

Meanwhile, remember to visit my educational blog, English Emporium for details about my book's publication. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment