I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Monday, January 9, 2012

Gluten-Free Meatloaf Recipe

One of my children is 11 years old, and she's wanting to learn how to cook. So a couple of nights ago, I let her make a simple meatloaf, and this is the recipe we used:

INGREDIENTS:
11/2 lbs. hamburger
2 tbsp. finely chopped onions
1 tbstp. fresh parsley, chopped
2 cloves garlic
dash of salt
dash of pepper (we used fresh ground pepper)
2 tsp. Worchestershire sauce (Lee and Perrins is GF)
1 slice of dried GF bread
1 egg

DIRECTIONS:
There are a couple of ways to crumble up your dried GF bread slice. First, you can put it in a plastic Ziplock bag and roll over it with a rolling pin. Or a second choice is to put it in a food processor and let electricity do the work for you.

Once you've crushed the bread into crumbs, mince the garlic with a garlic press, beat your egg, and mix all of these ingredients together in a bowl. Then use a fork to press the well-mixed burger mixture into a bread pan (3x9 inches or whatever those are). Bake the loaf in a 400 degrees F. oven for 45 minutes to an hour (or until a meat thermometer registers 170 degrees. Drain the fat off of the meatloaf before you serve it, for a healthier meal.

Personally, I like to add vegetables like celery and peppers and mushrooms to my meatloaf, but that makes my kids gag! So I've found, the simpler I keep my meatloaf, the more the kids like it.

They like it even more if you make gravy to go with it. I'll post my very basic gravy recipe next week. To make a platter that looks pretty, slice the meatloaf, splay it out like you would a hand of cards, and drizzle gravy over the top. A sprig of parsley can make it look nice too. The only problem with the decorative platter, though, is that it allows the meat to get cool. So there's that to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment