I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Monday, January 23, 2012

Gluten-Free Egg McMuffin

A special treat for my little girl is GF egg McMuffins. What? You can make that gluten-free? Yes, you can. A company called Food for Life makes yummy GF English muffins now. (Check out the link for details.) With this product, it's possible to make McDonalds'-style egg McMuffins right in your own home! YUM!

If you don't have access to Food for Life products, you can certainly try to immitate the same thing with simple toast--just use your GF bread and cut it into circles and toast it. Heck, it might work.

INGREDIENTS:
GF ham (i.e. Buddig, Hormel, etc.)
1 egg
1 slice cheese
English muffin (GF) sliced in half and toasted
1 tsp. cider vinegar
water
cooking spray

DIRECTIONS:
I don't own a double-boiler, so I can't poach my eggs properly. So this is how I poach them: I spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray, put a cup of water in it, add the cider vinegar, and boil. Once boiling, I add my egg. Use a spatula to "scoot" the egg across the bottom, so it doesn't stick. Boil it for ten minutes, 'till the yolk is pretty much hard--be careful not to boil it dry. (I don't like runny eggs, but if you do, cook it for less time.) In the last two minutes of boil time, add the ham to the water. It doesn't need to cook very long, just one or two minutes. Then remove it from the water with tongs. Use a slotted spoon to lift the egg out of the pan, once cooked. Rest the wet egg on a paper towel and dry it off some. Pat the ham dry too. Salt and pepper the egg.

Make sure you time it about right, so that your English muffins are hot and toasted when the egg is done cooking. You may choose to butter your English muffins, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Layer the ingredients like this:

Bread on bottom and top
Egg/slice of cheese/ham in the middle

Wrap the bottom half of your egg McMuffin in a paper towel, and that way you won't lose any bits of egg out the bottom. It can be a little drippy too, so this prevents a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment