I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Monday, November 14, 2011

Gluten-Free Nachos with Home-Made Guacamole Dip (Recipe)--Part 1

Nachos are easy. But when I first started cooking gluten-free, I didn't know diddley. Heck, I couldn't even make gravy from scratch, much less a plate of nachos. So here's the scoop on nachos...

Gluten-Free Nachos

Image: iClipart
Ingredients:
  • GF corn tortilla chips
  • hamburger
  • cheese
  • veggies for toppings

Directions:
1. Brown the hamburger in a skillet (or we usually just use leftover hamburger from the tacos we made the night before). It's fine to season your hamburger with GF chili powder, GF garlic, and salt, if you like. Those, by the way, are the main ingredients in those packets of taco seasoning that people buy at the grocery story. The packets contain wheat, so I don't recommend you use those.
2. Spread corn tortilla chips out on a platter. Sprinkle hamburger over the top. Coat the whole thing with a thin layer of grated cheese.
3. Microwave for 30 seconds to one minute, until cheese melts. (Keep an eye on it, so the cheese doesn't burn.)

Of course you can add whatever veggies you like to your nachos, but most people like olives, onions, green peppers, jalapenos, and tomatoes. Some people add lettuce, but in my opinion, that just makes it a taco salad. It's also possible to top your platter of nachos with sour cream, refried beans, or both, just to make the whole thing look pretty.

That was Part 1. Next week I'll offer up my recipe for home-made guac. It goes great with a plate full of nachos. You can make nachos for a party finger food, a side dish to accompany an enchilada dinner, or a quick lunch for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment