I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Sunday, April 6, 2014

Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free GF/DF Spanish Rice and Beans Recipe for Cinco de Mayo

When you first go GF/DF, it's hard to find those rice-in-a-box dinners that you used to rely on. They all have gluten in them, and many of them have dairy products too. Ugh!

Well here's one possible solution. It's my recipe for Spanish rice with beans, just like the stuff you used to make from a box-o-rice. Only healthier! And I'm posting it one month before Cinco de Mayo, so everyone can enjoy it with their Mexican fiesta celebrations!

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. olive oil (for frying)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
3 med. garlic cloves, chopped or mashed
15 oz. pinto beans, drained (reserve their juicy stuff for later though)
8 or 9 oz. can of golden corn, drained (no need to reserve the juice)
7 oz. can of diced green chilis
1 tsp. chili powder
scant 1/4 tsp. onion powder
1 five-oz. can of chicken breast plus the liquid
3 cups cooked rice (I like Jasmine rice best)

Directions:
1. Cook the rice according to the directions. Measure out three cups of the cooked rice and set it aside.
2. Mix onion powder, chili powder, and salt in the liquid left from draining the pinto beans.
3. Fry the chicken, garlic, and onion in the olive oil, on medium heat, in a deep-dish frying pan. Cook this mixture, stirring regularly, until the onion looks transparent.
4. Add the rice you have set aside.
5. Drizzle the salt/chili powder mixture over the top.
6. Mix in the beans, corn, and chilis.
7. Cook for two more minutes on medium heat, stirring constantly.
8. Lower heat and simmer five minutes or until the beans and corn are cooked to your liking.

It is possible to use fresh, pre-cooked chicken instead of canned chicken, but if you do that, I'd add a little broth to make sure the rice doesn't turn out too dry.

In the picture provided here, I garnished my Spanish rice dish with avocado, which tasted great mixed in with the rice, by the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment