I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Sunday, December 1, 2013

Holiday Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Gingerbread Recipe

I'm not sure about baking this gingerbread cake with dairy-free ingredients. This year I'm going to try it dairy-free for the first time, substituting the regular milk for soy milk, and see how it turns out. If I forget to post my results, message me at esthersparhawk (at) gmail (dot) com. I'll let you know whether it works out or not.

Anyway, here's the recipe I'm going to use:

Gluten-Free Gingerbread Recipe

Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening (or Earth Balance if you're going dairy-free)
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup molasses
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup rice flour
1 cup potato starch flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp. xanthan gum
3/4 cup milk (I'll be substituting with soy milk this year)

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (approx. 175 degrees C). Beat together the shortening, eggs, and sugar in a large mixer.
2. Add the molasses, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and xanthan gum.
3. Blend your flours together in a separate bowl.
4. Mix the flours and the milk together with the rest. Make sure it's thoroughly blended, no lumps.
5. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch pan, and bake at 350 degrees F (175 C) for 30 minutes.
6. Sift a little powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar) on top, if you like. It can make it look pretty.

Wish me luck! I'm hoping this holiday season I can enjoy my gingerbread without worrying about gluten or dairy...

No comments:

Post a Comment