I'm a working mom with 9 years experience raising a celiac kid. I have to eat dairy and gluten free, but my daughter only has to eat GF. I'm by no means an expert, but I'm happy to share a few of my cooking tips, school lunchbox ideas, and recipes with you. I'll be posting something new once a month.

If you're curious about me, visit my other sites (shown at the bottom of this page), where I have contact forms and About-the-Author pages.



Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Gluten-Free Scones for Breakfast

Annie and I had gluten-free scones for breakfast. I used a Gluten-Free Pantry boxed muffin and scone mix for this, but I'll go ahead and post the from-scratch scone recipe that I have:

Start with my favorite Super Fluffy Gluten-Free Flour:
2 cups tapioca starch
2 cups cornstarch
2 cups rice flour
2 Tbs. potato flour (NOT potato starch--that's different)

I like to use this Super Fluffy GF Flour in a lot of things, so I keep a tub of it on my kitchen counter, and I dip into it for many of my recipes. It makes things fluffy! YAY!

DRY INGREDIENTS:
2 cups Super Fluffy GF Flour (see above)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. salt

WET INGREDIENTS:
1 stick (1/2 cup) very cold butter, cut into small chunks
2 large eggs
1/3 cup cold milk
bowl of water

DIRECTIONS:
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a stand mixer.
2. Add butter chunks. Use wire whisk attachment to mix the butter in. You're ready to move to step 3 when the stuff in your stand mixer looks sort of like super-gritty corn meal.
3. Mix the eggs and cold milk together in a separate bowl, using a fork. Switch your stand mixer's gadget to a paddle instead of a wire whisk. Blend the egg-milk mixture into the dry ingredients, using the paddle attachment, but don't let it get too creamy. Stop mixing after 2 minutes or so, allowing the ingredients to become just blended.
4. If you want to add nuts or dried fruit, do so now. Blend it for one more minute, until the additional ingredient is well-incorporated.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Moisten your hands in the bowl of water. Use wet, clean hands to scoop out batter. Shape scones into triangular biscuit-like shapes. The batter will be gooey like muffin mix, but as long as your hands are wet, you will be able to shape the scones into triangular or biscuit-like shapes. Place scones 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
6. Bake in 350 degree (F) oven for approx. 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Makes 18-20 scones, depending on size.

No comments:

Post a Comment